Becoming confident speakers and being able to hold conversations are key skills that children need in later life. Speaking and listening activities also support reading and writing activities. Through our English teaching we will promote the following which we believe are important skills:
• To listen, evaluate, summarise and respect the opinions of others;
• To speak expressively and confidently upon a range of topics through class discussion, debates and drama activities;
• To provide a range of opportunities for children to talk and listen in formal and informal settings;
• To use drama and role play to develop confidence when addressing an audience;
• To use discussion to promote learning, and evaluation of opinions, through the use of asking and answering questions;
• To create an environment in which children feel safe when speaking about their thoughts and feelings.
Curriculum overview:Speaking and Listening Progression Curriculum Coverage - Speaking & Listening